What is Bounce! Protection?
Bounce! Protection is a service that allows the Credit Union to pay an item presented against your checking account even if it causes the account to become overdrawn. Bounce! Protection may provide certain accountholders in good standing with the ability to overdraw their checking account up to $750. The Bounce! Protection dollar amount limit includes any overdraft fees assessed. If your checking account has been open at least 45 days and maintained in good standing*, we may, at our sole discretion, pay overdrafts up to the limits mentioned above, including Bounce! Protection overdraft fee(s). Whether we pay or return an item, your account may be assessed a fee, either as a Bounce! Protection fee or a Non-Sufficient Funds fee, but you will not be charged both fees by us.
What is opt-in?
Opt-in is when you tell us you want to participate in a service we offer our members. Rather than being automatically enrolled, you must notify us that you choose to participate.
Why must I opt-in to Bounce! Protection?
Due to recent regulatory changes you must now opt-in to allow the payment of everyday debit card (these are debit card transactions you initiate when purchasing from a merchant) and ATM transactions in cases where such payment will result in your account being overdrawn. If you wish to authorize the credit union to pay such transactions you must tell us you want to opt-in. If you do not opt-in, the credit union will deny your transaction when you use your debit card for payment and/or ATM transactions if you do not have sufficient funds to cover the transaction.
Must I opt-in to all parts of Bounce! Protection?
No. You will continue to be automatically enrolled in coverage for checks and recurring payments you have set up. You only need to opt-in for coverage of everyday debit card and ATM transactions.
Can I opt-out of Bounce! Protection?
Yes. You can choose to opt-out of all or certain Bounce! Protection transactions at any time. If you opt-out of all Bounce! Protection transactions, the credit union will refuse to pay any transactions where you don’t have sufficient funds to cover that transaction. If your transaction is refused, you may still be subject to NSF (non-sufficient funds) fees from the credit union and/or returned check fees from merchants.
How much is the Bounce! Protection fee?
Our current charge per item is $30. The amount of this fee may change, but you will receive prior notice of any changes. In this case, payment is made on your transaction and a Bounce! Protection fee is applied.
How much is the NSF (non-sufficient funds) fee?
Our current charge per item is $30. The amount of this fee may change, but you will receive prior notice of any changes. In this case, payment is refused on your check or recurring item transaction, and an NSF fee is applied. You may also incur returned check charges from merchants.
How do I qualify for Bounce! Protection?
To ensure that you qualify for this service, you need to have:
- A checking account that has been open for at least 45 days
- No delinquent loans with the credit union (past due over 30 days)
- Not caused the credit union a loss
- Have not opted out of our Bounce! Protection service
- A accumulated deposit of $500 or greater in the checking account within a rolling 30-day period
Why would you not cover my transaction if I qualify for Bounce! Protection?
Whether your overdrafts will be paid is discretionary and we reserve the right not to pay. For example, we typically do not pay overdrafts if your account is not in good standing, or you are not making regular deposits, you have not paid back previous overdrafts on a timely basis or you have too many overdrafts. The overdrawn amount must also be repaid within 21 days of the transaction.
What You Need to Know about Overdrafts and Overdraft Fees
An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough money in your account to cover a transaction, but we pay it anyway. We can cover your overdrafts in two different ways:
- We have Bounce! Protection which you may qualify for automatically (see qualifying criteria mentioned above). Bounce! Protection will cover your transaction but will overdraw your checking account and take your balance into the negative. Bounce! Protection may cover different types of overdrafts:
- A check you have written
- A recurring payment you have set up
- An everyday debit card transaction (requires you to opt-in)/
- An ATM transaction (requires you to opt-in)
- We also offer overdraft protection plans, such as a link to a savings account or Line-of-Credit, which may be less expensive than Bounce! Protection. For more information on these plans, please contact us at 800.444.6327.
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
- If you qualify, we currently, and will continue to, authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Recurring bill payments using your Visa® Debit Card and/or ATM card
- If you qualify, we will authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions, however we will not do so unless you ask us to (see below):
- Everyday sales transactions made using your NuVision Visa® Debit Card
- ATM transactions involving your checking account made using your NuVision Visa® Debit Card or ATM Card
We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction.
What if I want NuVision Federal Credit Union to authorize and pay overdrafts on my everyday debit card and ATM transactions?
It’s easy! If you want us to authorize and pay overdrafts on everyday debit and ATM transactions, you must complete an opt-in form, which can be found here. You can also opt-in by calling us at 800.444.6327, or completing a form at any NuVision branch.
You have the right to revoke your consent by opting out at any time in writing.
You may opt-out of Bounce! Protection for certain types of transactions or in its entirety at anytime in writing. If you choose to do so you may be subject to insufficient funds fees assessed by the credit union and/or merchants. NuVision reserves the right to revoke Bounce! Protection privileges at anytime without prior notifications and to deny the payment of any transaction.
There are a few options to Opt out of Bounce Protection:
- Please contact our Call Center at 800.444.6327 during business hours M,T,Th,F 8am – 6pm, W 9am – 6pm or Saturday 8:30am – 2pm
- Send the request in by letter – please include your Name, Account Number and your Signature. This can be mailed to:
PO Box 1220
Huntington Beach, Ca 92647
- Open a Secure Live Chat session after logging into your account online
- Or Visit one of our NuVision Branch offices. Office Locations
Everyday debit card transactions: Transactions using your debit card that occur during your daily routine, such as grocery shopping, gasoline, or coffee. This does not include regular payments automatically deducted from your checking account, such as utility bills or a gym membership.
ATM transactions: Transactions made at an ATM using your debit card, such as a withdrawal.
Non-Sufficient Funds (NSF) fee: The fee you are charged when you don’t have enough funds in your checking account to cover a check, recurring payment, or electronic bill payment, and the Credit Union decides to not cover or pay that transaction.
*Refer to your Bounce! Protection disclosure for details.